cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aklin_81 <asdk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finding the intersection results of column sets of two rows
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:47:42 GMT
Thank you so much Aaron !!

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Aaron Morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> Makes sense, use a get_slice() against the second row and pass in the column names. Should
e fine.

> If you run into performance issues look at slice_buffer_size and column_index_size in
the config.

> Aaron
>

> On 9/02/2011, at 5:16 AM, Aklin_81 <asdkl93@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Amongst two rows, where I need to find the common columns. I will not
>> have more than 200 columns(in 99% cases) for the 1st row. But the 2nd
>> row where I need to find these columns may have even around a million
>> valueless columns.
>>
>> A point to note is:- These calculations are all done for **writing the
>> data to the database that has been collected from presentation layer**
>> & not while presentation of data.
>>
>> I am using the results of such intersection to find the rows(that are
>> pointed by names of common columns) that I should write to. The
>> calculations are done after a Post is submitted by a user, in a
>> discussions forum. Actually this is used to find out the mutual
>> connections in a group & write to the rows pointed by common columns.
>> 1st row represents the connection list of a user, which is not going
>> to be more than 100-250 columns for my case & 2nd row represents the
>> members of a group which may contain a million columns as I told.
>> I find the mutual connections in a group(by finding the common columns
>> in the above two rows) and then write to the rows of those users.
>>
>> Cant I run a batch query to ask for all columns that I picked up from
>> 1st row and want to ask in the 2nd row ??
>>
>> Is there any better way ?
>>
>> Asil

in one column family, holding the "foreign key" of the matching row in the other family.

(is not some sort of functional transformation).

yet very close to optimal for more complex "joins" involving multiple indexes, I'm not sure
if that affects you as you didn't say what you are joining on.

values? Will depend on how many I guess.

the intersection in code in the client.

not before presentation