cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Huy Le <hu...@springpartners.com>
Subject Re: Out of control memory consumption
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:34:02 GMT
We use Cassandra version 0.6.11. Our cache size is very small.  11 out of 12
servers have used heap size less than 500MB of 3GB allocated. Just one
server that had memory usage run out of control.

The issue is isolated.  It turn out that one CF has a row with compacted row
size of 50MB.  And this row happens to be very active row that get updated
every few seconds.   By deleting this row, heap memory usage is consistently
low across servers on the cluster.

It came to my surprise how expensive it is to have this row of 50MB
compacted size being updated every few seconds.  Does anyone have any
insight as to why the row mentioned is so expensive to have?

Thanks!

Huy

--
Huy Le