cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Chain for : Does Cassandra use vector clocks
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 16:46:55 GMT
Yeah - no worries - I don't think anyone was thinking you were trying to drink kool-aid or
selling anything.  Jonathan was just pointing out thoughtful replies to his claims.

This past year, Michael Stonebraker with voltdb and other things seems to have tried to take
advantage of momentum behind systems like cassandra (as well as the backlash against nosql)
to make pretty bold claims, especially when considering that volt is an in memory database.
 So 1) he's kind of been using his pedigree as credibility in selling a new product and 2)
the voltdb marketing department makes heavy use of buzz words and hyperbole.

Nothing wrong with voltdb necessarily, it probably has its uses.  However, the way it's been
pitched by the company and by Stonebraker in particular seems disingenuous, self-serving,
and to me has very much tarnished his reputation as an objective luminary in the field of
computer science.

Maybe I'm taking that too far, but now every time I hear a statement by him, I have a grain
of salt at the ready.

On Feb 25, 2011, at 10:21 AM, A J wrote:

> Though you are not really implying that, I am not selling anything. I
> don't work for VoltDB. I had other issues for my use case with the
> software when I was evaluating it (their claim of durability is weak
> according to me. Though it does not matter I'd rather they call
> themselves NOSQL. they just give lip-service to SQL)
> I'd rather not drink any sort of kool-aid, get all sides (whatever the
> motive of the sides be) and be the judge myself for what I want to do.
>
> The thread was by someone who seems to be having difficulty wrapping
> head around the gives and takes of cassandra. maybe something else is
> better for their use case.
>
> Peace :)
>

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That article is heavily biased by "I am selling a competitor to Cassandra."
>>
>> First, read Coda's original piece if you haven't:
>> http://codahale.com/you-cant-sacrifice-partition-tolerance/
>>
>> Then, Jeff Darcy's response: http://pl.atyp.us/wordpress/?p=3110
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:56 PM, A J <s5alye@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While we are at it, there's more to consider than just CAP in distributed :)
>>> http://voltdb.com/blog/clarifications-cap-theorem-and-data-related-errors

R=N .

Such an event

write on W
And this is what
But given

But let us not

1)

(read replica count

<chirayithaj@gmail.com>

to the code - then CL

it does not guarantee

Lebresne

John

for conflict resolution - unless is is
logic!!!

conflict resolution ? Because if you
(which
the timestamps are used to decide
a resolution).
and yes semantics is very
the immediate questions without
the timestamp of the column is
data to return.

of 3 over N1/2/3
the time stamp (TS2) of a
on N1 - fails on N2/3. So the
the same piece of data that
the old TS (say TS1)
TS1 or TS2.
old TS.

respond to the read (since
If N1 is part of the two that
cassandra will compare
on this. If N2/N3
so, after timestamp
resolution.
because a failed write can
You'd have to retry the
that quorum read will
doesn't guarantee
no revert).

interpretation ?
Sylvain Lebresne

PM, Anthony John
wrote:

for conflict resolution - unless is is

resolution ? Because if you
(which
timestamps are used to decide
a resolution).

w/Cassandra. You need to to use 3rd
- to get ACID type consistency.

what you are calling "lost
reasonable consistency level,
guarantee, so for some
that Cassandra provided any
which Cassandra doesn't
of transaction, then by all
yes you can use cages or the like
the point of the thread, was it ?
has nothing to do with
transactions).
mail, but I was only responding to
would really provide much for

AM, Sylvain Lebresne
wrote:

> [...]
at 3:22 AM, Anthony John
wrote:

> [...]
reason my response on the original mail
thus this new one!

hand, the same article says:
writes to work, the condition must be
all update
the write can be allowed to succeed."

when doing such an update CL=ALL must be

by that entire thread!
implement any kind of data locking - at any
it be row/colF/Col ?

to 1 above is NO! - how does CL ALL prevent
updates on exactly the same piece of
each other up, right ?

taking CL.ALL specifically. But in any CL,
of data means the same column value. In
are the following:
a different timestamp, keep the one
That is, the more recent of two updates
are the same, then it compares the values
keep the highest value. This is just to
concurrent updates (that is from two
then you'll end with one of the update.
conflict detection/resolution mechanism
of your use case and you need to keep
is easy enough. Just make sure that the
This is easily achieved by appending
name for instance. And when reading,
get back with whatever logic make sense.
roughly emulated what vector clocks
most things the timestamp resolution is
update twice it's profile picture on
it's usually fine to end up with one