cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Coverston <ben.covers...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: Subcolumn Indexing
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:21:43 GMT

> Does this just mean the exhaustive list of the column names not all
> the values?

No, this means the entire supercolumn, names and values. When the client
tries to access any subcolumn in the supercolumn it has to read the
entire supercolumn.

> So if I have a super column that has a map of keys that only contain
> two columns max each this shouldn't really be a performance concern
> correct? This becomes an issue when you have lots of subcolumns if I'm
> reading this correctly? I'm looking at using the super column as a
> good way to cluster data, say I was storing home addresses I might use
> the zipcode as the super column if I cared mostly about accessing data
> by logical area for instance. Thanks for the help.

That is one way to logically group the values, but I think that a
simpler solution may be to store the home address as a single row in a
column family, then use a dynamic column family to store references to
those addresses per zip code.