cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <>
Subject Re: Confused about CASSANDRA-1417; saving row cache
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:11:32 GMT
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Chris Burroughs
<> wrote:
> My naive reading of CASSANDRA-1417 was that it could be used to save the
> row cache to disk.  Empirically it appears to only save the row keys,
> and then reads each row.
> In my case I set the row cache to save to disk.  This resulted in a 25
> MB file. On restart the process sat at this line for about 1 hour while
> reading at 25 MB a second: INFO [main] 2011-01-11 07:32:41,705
> (line 252) loading row cache for FOO of BAR
> Is this the intentional implementation?  Are there any reason not to
> just the entire row to disk to allow for faster startup?

I think because the RowCache is only saved periodically it could be
out of sync. IE saved at 12:00 changed at 12:01 then the row cache
would consistently return the wrong results since it never looks at
the disk again. I guess saving the row cache only makes sense for a
smaller row cache at this point.

View raw message