cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dave Gardner <dave.gard...@imagini.net>
Subject Re: Use Cassandra to store 2 million records of persons
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:01:36 GMT
Our experience of Cassandra+Hadoop is good.

We have a 16 node Cassandra cluster storing 110m users plus a 5 node
Hadoop cluster. We can scan through all rows in about 2.5 hours.

Dave

On Thursday, 20 January 2011, David G. Boney
<dboney1@semanticartifacts.com> wrote:
> I don't think the below statement accurately describes data mining or using Cassandra
for data mining. All the techniques I am familiar with for either data mining or machine learning,
which data mining is a subset, make one or more sequential scans through the data to abstract
statistics or build models. The question is how well does Cassandra perform with sequential
scans through the data? The Hadoop model works very well for many machine learning problems
because it is oriented toward sequential scans through the data. The speed of the Hadoop interface
to Cassandra would have a lot of bearing on the application of Cassandra to data mining or
machine learning problems.

> -------------Sincerely,David G. Boneydboney1@semanticartifacts.comhttp://www.semanticartifacts.com
>

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 6:35 AM, David Boxenhorn wrote:
> Cassandra is not a good solution for data mining type problems, since it doesn't have
ad-hoc queries. Cassandra is designed to maximize throughput, which is not usually a problem
for data mining.

--
*Dave Gardner*
Technical Architect

[image: imagini_58mmX15mm.png]   [image: VisualDNA-Logo-small.png]

*Imagini Europe Limited*
7 Moor Street, London W1D 5NB

[image: phone_icon.png] +44 20 7734 7033
[image: skype_icon.png] daveg79
[image: emailIcon.png] dave.gardner@imagini.net
[image: icon-web.png] http://www.visualdna.com

Imagini Europe Limited, Company number 5565112 (England
and Wales), Registered address: c/o Bird & Bird,
90 Fetter Lane, London, EC4A 1EQ, United Kingdom