cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: memory size and disk size prediction tool
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:49:51 GMT
Not that I know of, do you have an existing test system you can use as a baseline ?

For memory have a read of the JVM Heap Size section here http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableThresholds
You will also want to have some memory for disk caching and the os. 8 or 12gb feels like a
good start.

For disk capacity I just did some regular old guess work, and multipled my number by 1.25
cover the on disk overhead. You also want to avoid using more than 50% of the local disk space,
due to
compaction and the way the disk performance falls away. There is more info available here
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware

How much throughout do you need? How much redundancy do you need? How much data do you
plan to store?

Hope that helps
Aaron