cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <>
Subject Re: In the ‘Cassandra.Iface’ interface, is it correct to call ‘void set_keyspace()’ prior to ‘login()’?
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:58:19 GMT
AFAIK The order of calling login() and set_keyspace() is not important.

set_keyspace() just stores the keyspace in the ClientState on the connection thread, and  login
authenticates the user name and password and stores them in the ClientState. Functions on
CassandraServer that require authorisation call functions such as ClientState.hasColumnFamilyAccess()
where things are checked.

If you wanted to set the keyspace based on the login, you could do it in the login() function
on the ClientState. Then your client would not need to call set_keyspace() . The keyspace
has to exist though, it's used it lots of places to identify the CF

Hope that helps.