cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aram Ayazyan <ayaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory exceptions w/ Cassandra 0.6.8
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 01:05:16 GMT
Hi Aaron,

OOM is happening both after the system has been running for a while as
well as when I restart it afterwards. The only way to make it run
after it has crashed, is to remove everything from data and commitlog
directories. Unfortunately I don't have the original log from when
cassandra crashed earlier, but might have some soon if another node
crashes.

This particular exception happened during start-up:
ERROR [main] 2010-12-01 14:58:37,795 CassandraDaemon.java (line 242)
Exception encountered during startup.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:597)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.PeriodicCommitLogExecutorService.<init>(PeriodicCommitLogExecutorService.java:57)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.PeriodicCommitLogExecutorService.<init>(PeriodicCommitLogExecutorService.java:40)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.<init>(CommitLog.java:117)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.<init>(CommitLog.java:71)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog$CLHandle.<clinit>(CommitLog.java:85)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.instance(CommitLog.java:80)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.maybeSwitchMemtable(ColumnFamilyStore.java:469)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.forceFlush(ColumnFamilyStore.java:517)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.flush(Table.java:431)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:291)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLog.recover(CommitLog.java:172)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.setup(CassandraDaemon.java:115)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CassandraDaemon.main(CassandraDaemon.java:224)

And here is the full GC log: http://pastebin.com/XGRSRcBd (all 21
seconds of it).

Thank you,
Aram