cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jake Maizel <>
Subject Best Practice for Data Center Migration
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 10:08:39 GMT

We have a ring of 12 nodes with 6 in one data center and 6 in another.
  We want to shutdown all 6 nodes in data center 1 in order to close
it down.  We are using a replication factor of 3 and are using
RackAwareStrategy with version 0.6.6.

Are there any best practices for doing this type of operation?

We have been thinking that using decomission on each of the nodes in
the old data center one at a time would do the trick.  Does this sound

We have also been considering increasing the replication factor to 4
and then just shutting down all the old nodes.  Would that work as far
as data availability would go?

Any other suggestions?

Jake Maizel
Network Operations

Mail & GTalk:
Skype: jakecloud

Rosenthaler strasse 13, 101 19, Berlin, DE

View raw message