Pretty sure I could ask that better:

Is it possible for me to perform RowMutations on BinaryMemtable for a ColumnFamily of type Super?

The bmt_example seems to say that it’s possible, but cassandra 0.7 b3 seems to disagree with the following:

ERROR [MutationStage:38] 2010-11-11 13:47:37,383 (line 103) Error in ThreadPoolExecutor

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not supported for Super Columns.

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(

        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(

        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$

Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not supported for Super Columns.

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumn.value(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.load(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutation.applyBinary(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(

The code in the bmt_example serializes the CF for the super columns and sets that as column data (made me scratch my head) on a different CF for the RowMutation. Attempting that causes the following exception:

Caused by: Invalid localDeleteTime read: 0

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserializeColumns(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.defreezeTheMaps(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationMessageSerializer.deserialize(

        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(

… which is basically because the CFSerializer is (rightly) expecting to deserialize a super column though the bmt_example serialized a Standard CF.

Any help on BMT with supercolumns would be appreciated.