cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aditya Muralidharan <>
Subject RE: Cassandra 0.7 beta3 BinaryMemtable and Supercolumns
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:41:19 GMT
Pretty sure I could ask that better:

Is it possible for me to perform RowMutations on BinaryMemtable for a ColumnFamily of type

The bmt_example seems to say that it's possible, but cassandra 0.7 b3 seems to disagree with
the following:

ERROR [MutationStage:38] 2010-11-11 13:47:37,383 (line 103)
Error in ThreadPoolExecutor
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not
supported for Super Columns.
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This operation is not supported for Super
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumn.value(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Table.load(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutation.applyBinary(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(

The code in the bmt_example serializes the CF for the super columns and sets that as column
data (made me scratch my head) on a different CF for the RowMutation. Attempting that causes
the following exception:

Caused by: Invalid localDeleteTime read: 0
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.SuperColumnSerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserializeColumns(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.defreezeTheMaps(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationSerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.RowMutationMessageSerializer.deserialize(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.BinaryVerbHandler.doVerb(

... which is basically because the CFSerializer is (rightly) expecting to deserialize a super
column though the bmt_example serialized a Standard CF.

Any help on BMT with supercolumns would be appreciated.