cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM OOM on node startup
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:50:56 GMT
If you're getting OOM with adaptive heap size of > 1GB, reducing it to
1GB is not going to make things better. :)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Brayton Thompson <thompsbp@grnoc.iu.edu> wrote:
> Hello again.
>        We have 3 nodes and were testing what happens when a node goes down. There
is roughly 10gb of data on each node. The node we "simulated" dieing was working just fine
under the load. Then we killed it. The ring performed admirably, But upon restarting the node
it dies every time of JVM OOM errors.  I have forced a JVM heap size of 1024mb in the startup
file. (did this because adaptive heap size was causing oom errors with normal usage.) The
machines are 2 core 4gb ram vm's.

> I've read the Riptano troubleshooting guide... http://www.riptano.com/docs/0.6/troubleshooting/index#nodes-are-dying-with-oom-errors
But im not sure if these apply in this case since it is only dieing on startup.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra