cassandra-user mailing list archives

From David Jeske <dav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cassandra vs hbase summary (was facebook messaging)
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 18:32:00 GMT
Thanks for all the great answers last week about Cassandra. I have an
additional question about cassandra and columns/supercolumns. I had naively
assumed that columns and super-columns map to an internal row-key (like how
in Bigtable the indexed map is row/column-key/timestamp to data), but some
performance information I've found hints otherwise. (things got slow with
large numbers of columns)

How are columns and super-columns handled? Specifically, are operations on
specific columns within a row closer to O(num-columns) or closer to log-n
(i.e. individual row-performance)?