cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mubarak Seyed <>
Subject Design Question
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 01:05:50 GMT
Hi All,

Can someone please validate and recommend a solution for the given design

*Problem statement:* Need to de-queue data from Cassandra (from Standard
ColumnFamily) using a job but multiple instances of a job can run
simultaneously (kinda multiple threads), trying to access a same row but
need to make sure that only one instance of a job (thread) can access a row,
meaning if job A is accessing Row #1, then job B can't access Row #1.

*Possible solutions:*

*Solution #1:* Using Cages (and ZooKeeper) to make sure that one only job at
a time can access a row in CF. How do we make sure that Cages (transaction
coordinator using ZooKeeper) is not a Single Point of Failure? What is the
performance impact on write/read on nodes? There is some blog on distributed
concurrent queue at

*Solution #2: *Using some home-grown approach to store/maintain who is
accessing what, meaning which job is accessing which row.

Are there any other solutions to the above problem?

Can someone please help me on validate the design?

Mubarak Seyed.

View raw message