cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iteration does not yield all data with consistency ONE
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:47:49 GMT
Interesting.  Does it simplify further to RF=1 and 2 nodes?

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Eric van Orsouw
<eric.van.orsouw@eventis.nl> wrote:
> No, all nodes were up and running while the single key was inserted.
> The insert however was with consistency One. I assume however that the replicas are still
written in this case.
> It is btw also very reproducible.

don't get anything (depending on the node).

>> I then reduced the problem to inserting just a single row.
>>
>> Specifically, the 'iteration' only seems to succeed when I issue the request to the
node that contains the first copy.

>> I Discovered that when I iterate using a consistency level of Quorum/All the iteration
always succeeds and I properly get the one row.

>> So a solution would be to always use consistency level One/All but that has a performance
penalty.

>> Can anyone explain why iterating using get_range_slices("","",n) does not always
function with consistency level One on all nodes?

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>>

>> P.S. To rule out any discussion on whether or not to use iteration in the first place,
we only plan to use it for backup and periodic cleanup cycles.