cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Henry Luo <h...@choicestream.com>
Subject RE: Adding nodes in new data center
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 16:10:08 GMT

As suggested, we did do removetoken, set autobootstrap true, initial token and start. Now
the new nodes are in the Boostrapping state for a while, but nothing seem to be happening
at all.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Capriolo [mailto:edlinuxguru@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 6:08 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adding nodes in new data center

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Henry Luo <hluo@choicestream.com> wrote:
> We have a cluster running in one data center, and are adding some in a new
> data center. There are some data already in the current cluster.
>
> We did something wrong at first by not having AutoBootstrap on, when we saw
> no data being migrated. So we wiped out the data on the new nodes, and then
> start them up with AutoBootstrap on. We still did not see data migrated.
>

> I'm thinking that we need to do a nodetool decommission the new nodes, and
> start them with AutoBootstrap on. Does that make sense?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Henry
>
> ________________________________
> which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
> privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
> of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
> this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
> computers.

Correct. Once you have started a node with auto-bootstrap=false,
changing the configuration file no longer works. The nodes are
bootstrapped and joined to the cluster.

Yes. you want to decommission or removetoken the new nodes. Set
auto-bootstrap to true, set an initialtoken and start them.

and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.