cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dan Washusen <...@reactive.org>
Subject Re: HintedHandoff and ReplicationFactor with a downed node
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 23:43:18 GMT
The last time this came up on the list Jonathan Ellis said (something
along the lines of) if your application can't tolerate stale data then
you should read with a consistency level of QUORUM.

It would be nice if there was some sort of middle ground for an
application that can tolerate slightly stale data (minutes) but not
very stale data (hours or days) could still get the performance gain
of consistency level of ONE.  Even if a node just made a best effort
in the OPs scenario it might be sufficient...?

Is there an alternative solution to reading with consistency level of
QUORUM?  For example, if a node has been down for an extended period
of time could you re-add it as a new node (fetching all its data
again) and avoid having to read with QUORUM?

Just curious... :)

Cheers,
Dan