cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Arijit Mukherjee <ariji...@gmail.com>
Subject Cassandra newbie question
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:01:33 GMT
Hi All

I've just started reading about Cassandra and writing simple tests
using Cassandra 0.6.5 to see if we can use it for our product.

I have a data store with a set of columns, like C1, C2, C3, and C4,
but the columns aren't mandatory. For example, there can be a list of
(k.v) pairs with only C1 and C2, but no C3 and C4. At the same time,
there can be a set of records with all the columns present. It's
possible to consider them as three sets A (with all columns), B (with
C1 and C2) and C (with C3 and C4). And I'm trying to find out the
following:

1. A - B (all records who don't have C3 and C4) and A - C (all record
who don't have C1 and C2)
2. records for whom C2 != C4

It's possible to pick all records and do this processing in my client
code - but that won't perform well. Is there any way to do these
within Cassandra? For example, by passing a list of column names so
that cassandra returns the records with only those columns?

Regards
Arijit