cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Nodes getting slowed down after a few days of smooth operation
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:29:21 GMT
> I have wondered before whether there is any technical reason why the commit
> log replay should end with a flush, and from what I can tell, there isn't
> one other than the general goal of not having a large commit log. My
> personal feeling is that the last thing you want your production node doing
> after you've restarted it  (blowing out the internal key and row caches) is
> compacting and blowing out your only remaining cache (the OS page cache) as
> a result. If this is a problem for others in production, I could submit a
> JIRA with a patch to disable the memtable flush part of startup?

While I don't argue against such a change, one argument for *having*
the flush is that subsequent restarts become faster and it might help
if you're in some kind of situation where nodes continually die
shortly after having been started.

(But I totally agree about blowing caches.)

--
/ Peter Schuller