cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Changing column families and drain
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:07:12 GMT
I've always assumed that when the drain command logs that the node is drained the commit log
is clear. The drain command stops the node from accepting requests, flushes the memtables
to disk and finally marks the commit logs as safe to delete. As far as I can tell, it should
either work or fail.

If a second of the log cannot be discard the command will log at debug level "Not safe to
delete commit log...". But AFAIK once the memtables are flushed and more more writes accepted
you are good to go.

If you are dropping CF's then you should be able to deploy the code to stop querying them
and then do a rolling change in the cluster. If you are renaming then it may be a bit trickier.

Shutting down with kill -9 is the approved way to stop cassandra.

Also, am assuming you are on 0.6*.
Hope that helps
Aaron

On 13 Oct 2010, at 21:00, Jean-Yves LEBLEU wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I look at the wiki the procedure to change the column family is :
>
> Empty the commitlog with "nodetool drain."
> Shutdown Cassandra and verify that there is no remaining data in the commitlog.
> Delete the sstable files (-Data.db, -Index.db, and -Filter.db) for any CFs removed, and
rename the files for any CFs that were renamed.
> Make necessary changes to your storage-conf.xml.
> Start Cassandra back up and your edits should take effect.
>

> How do we check that the commitlog is empty ? as it seems that there are still files
in the commit log directory after a drain ?