cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Andres March <ama...@qualcomm.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra on AWS across Regions
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:16:51 GMT
  I didn't have anything specific in mind. I understand all the issues
around DNS and not advocating only supporting hostnames (just thought it
would be a nice option).  I also wouldn't expect name resolution to be
done all the time, only when the node is first being started or during
initial discovery.

One use case might be when nodes are spread out over multiple networks
as the poster describes, nodes on the same network on a private
interface could incur less network overhead than if they go out through
the public interface.  I'm not sure that this is even possible given
that cassandra binds to only one interface.

On 09/01/2010 03:23 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Andres March<amarch@qualcomm.com>  wrote:
>> I thought you might say that.  Is there some reason to gossip IP addresses
>> vs hostnames?  I thought that layer of indirection could be useful in more
>> than just this use case.
>>
> The trade-off for that flexibility is that nodes are now dependent on
> name resolution during normal operation, rather than only at startup.
> The opportunities for horribly confusing failure scenarios are
> numerous and frightening.  Other than NAT (which can clearly be dealt
> with without gossiping hostnames), what do you think this would
> enable?

*Andres March*
amarch@qualcomm.com <mailto:amarch@qualcomm.com>
Qualcomm Internet Services