cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Francois Richard <frich...@xobni.com>
Subject RE: Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:03:48 GMT
Thanks Clint,

I am going to look-up the links below, I am pretty new on the DEB packaging in general and
from what I have seen so far, a lot of the tutorial on the web are mostly based on classic
[ .configure | make | make install ] of an application built in C.  In this case I wanted
to figure out the DEB packaging in the context of a Java application.  I'll read on more and
will stay in touch.

My goal at the end of the day, is to install " the stock" package for Cassandra and then to
create a special Cassandra-config package that would move and deploy my customized configuration
files on the system.

Thanks,

FR

-----Original Message-----
From: Clint Byrum [mailto:clint@ubuntu.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:54 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra

Hello Francois,

There are already .debs available here:

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DebianPackaging

I've also setup a PPA to build the packages on Ubuntu here:

https://launchpad.net/~cassandra-ubuntu/+archive/stable

Its currently still at v0.6.4, but I am in the process of uploading 0.6.5 as I write this
email..

The .debs are nearly identical. The only difference is that I've packaged the jars necessary
to build, so that you get the same exact versions of all libraries if you need to patch +
repeat the build. Also, these are built specifically for Ubuntu releases, so if we find any
incompatibilities between debian/ubuntu we can fix them for ubuntu users.

I hope this helps!

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Francois Richard wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I am trying to build a debian package in order to deploy Cassandra 0.6.5 on Ubuntu.
I see that you have a ./debian directory in the source builds, do you have a bit more background
on how it is used and build?