cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Build an index to for join query
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:45:48 GMT
In the cassandra world the best approach is to create on CF with the name and address in it.

Use a super CF with one super col for the user data and one super col for every address they
have. Pull the entire row back every time you want to read the data. No need for joins.

Aaron

On 18 Sep 2010, at 08:56, Alvin UW <alvinuw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Paul,
>
> If we make a CF Name_Address(name, address) rather than an index, we have to maintain
it, once any change happens in ID_Address(Id, address) ,  Name_ID(name, id). Besides, it also
occupies some space.

> In contrast, if Name_Address(name, address) is just an index, we can redirect the query
to ID_Address(Id, address) ,  Name_ID(name, id) without the cost of maintenance.
> Does it make sense?
>
> Alvin
>

> 2010/9/16 Rock, Paul <paul.rock@teamaol.com>
> Alvin - assuming I understand what you're after correctly, why not make a CF Name_Address(name,
address). Modifying the Cassandra methods to do the "join" you describe seems like overkill
to me...