cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>
Subject Re: Buildding a Ubuntu / Debian package for Cassandra
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:17:05 GMT

On Sep 16, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Francois Richard wrote:

> Thanks Clint,
>
> I am going to look-up the links below, I am pretty new on the DEB packaging in general
and from what I have seen so far, a lot of the tutorial on the web are mostly based on classic
[ .configure | make | make install ] of an application built in C.  In this case I wanted
to figure out the DEB packaging in the context of a Java application.  I'll read on more and
will stay in touch.

Actually there's a lot of ambiguity in packaging that arise given Java's unique properties
as a compiled, architecture independent platform. I wouldn't recommend *starting* your debian
packaging journey with java. Maybe find a nice C program first. ;)

> My goal at the end of the day, is to install " the stock" package for Cassandra and then
to create a special Cassandra-config package that would move and deploy my customized configuration
files on the system.

You're probably better off using a configuration management system such as puppet, chef, or
cfengine to.. well.. manage your configuration.