cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jeremiah Jordan" <JEREMIAH.JOR...@morningstar.com>
Subject RE: Monitoring with Cacti
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:53:02 GMT
Have you checked out the munin scripts?  If you want a starting point
for something that pulls data out of jmx and prints it out (so you can
catch and graph it).  It is very easy to setup this to get any jmx value
you want.

http://github.com/jamesgolick/cassandra-munin-plugins

________________________________

From: Aaron Morton [mailto:aaron@thelastpickle.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:40 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Cc: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Monitoring with Cacti

This is my first encounter with cacti, and it's feels a lot like having
a cactus violently inserted in me :) Hopefully this week I can get back
to it with a clearer head, part of my annoyance was probably trying to
rush it through on a Friday and it's somewhat taxing configuration.

Over the weekend I was thinking about going with some python (our in
house favorite) in front of the jmxterm jar.

I'll also try to learn a bit more about cacti, it cannot be as hard as
it seemed on Friday.

I'll email you out of the list this week if I make some progress.

Aaron

On 11 Sep, 2010,at 03:31 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>
wrote:

	On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM, aaron morton
<aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
	> Am going through the rather painful process of trying to
monitor cassandra using Cacti (it's what we use at work). At the moment
it feels like a losing battle :)

	> Does anyone know of some cacti resources for monitoring the
JVM or Cassandra metrics other than...

	> mysql-cacti-templates
	> http://code.google.com/p/mysql-cacti-templates/
	> - provides templates and data sources that require ssh and can
monitor JVM heap and a few things.

	> Cassandra-cacti-m6
	> http://www.jointhegrid.com/cassandra/cassandra-cacti-m6.jsp
	> Coded for version 0.6* , have made some changes to stop it
looking for stats that no longer exist. Missing some metrics I think but
it's probably the best bet so far. If I get it working I'll contribute
it back to them Most of the problems were probably down the how much
effort it takes to setup cacti.

	> jmxterm
	> http://www.cyclopsgroup.org/projects/jmxterm/
	> Allows for command line access to JMX. I started down the path
of writing a cacti data source to use this just to see how it worked.
Looks like a lot of work.

	> Thanks for any advice.
	> Aaron

	Setting up cacti is easy, the second time, and third time :)
	As for cassandra-cacti-m6 (i am the author). Unfortunately, I
have
	been fighting the jmx switcharo battle for about 3 years now
	hadoop/hbase/cassandra/hornetq/vserver

	In a nutshell there is ALWAYS work involved. First, is because
as you
	noticed attributes change/remove/add/renamed. Second it takes a
human
	to logically group things together. For example, if you have two
items
	"cache hits" and "cache misses". You really do not want two
separate
	graphs that will scale independently. You want one slick stack
graph,
	with nice colors, and you want a CDEF to calculate the cache hit
	percentage by dividing one into the other and show that at the
bottom.

	If you want to have a 7.0 branch to cassandra-cacti-m6 I would
love
	the help. We are not on 7.0 yet so I have not had the time just
to go
	out and make graphs for a version we are not using yet :) but if
you
	come up with patches they are happily accepted.

	Edward