cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <>
Subject Re: too many open files 0.7.0 beta1
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:45:35 GMT
That looks like it. I've pushed the limits up to 65k and turned down the testing for now. Otherwise
machines were dropping like flies.

On 26 Aug, 2010,at 04:16 PM, Dan Washusen <dan@reactiveorg> wrote:

Maybe you're seeing this:

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Aaron Morton <> wrote:
Under 0.7.0 beta1 am seeing cassandra run out of files handles...

Caused by: /local1/junkbox/cassandra/data/
(Too many open files)
        at Method)

If I look at the file descriptors for the process I can see it already has 1,958 for to
the file

sudo ls -l /proc/20862/fd | grep "ObjectIndex-e-31-Data.db" |  wc -l

Out of a total of 2044.

Other nodes in the cluster have a similar number of fd's - around 2k with the majority to
one SSTable.

I did not experience this under 0.6 so just checking if this sounds OK and I should just increase
the number of handles or if it's a bug?