cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "MessageDeserializationTask.java (line 47) dropping message" errors
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:26:16 GMT
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Ronald Park
<ronald.park@cbsinteractive.com> wrote:
> Well this is bad news... Why is this logged only as a WARN?  Seems quite
> SEVERE to me.

That's as high as log4j goes, without going all the way to ERROR which
we reserve for bugs.  (High load is not a bug.)

> Fortunately for my app, I can go back to my source, recreate the data and
> reload it at a slower rate (and cross my fingers that this rate is 'slow
> enough')... unfortunately, it took me 20 hours to load the data (200M
> records) at a rate of 3K/sec.  It looks like I only dropped about 600K
> records out of 200M (.3%) ... but no way to tell which ones were dropped. :(

Sure there is.  Your client will have gotten a TimedOutException if
Cassandra wasn't able to meet your requested ConsistencyLevel.  And if
it was, then no problem.