cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Harrison <cheetah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to migrate any relational database to Cassandra
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2010 01:23:28 GMT
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM, sonia gehlot <sonia.gehlot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you please help me how to move forward? How should I do all the setup
> for this?

My view is that Cassandra is fundamentally different from SQL databases. There
may be artefact's which are superficially similar between the two systems, but
I guess I'm thinking of a move to Cassandra like my move from dBase to Delphi;
in other words there were concepts which modified how you write applications.

Now, you can do something similar to a SQL database, but I don't think you would
be leveraging the features of Cassandra. That said, I think there will be a new
generation of abstraction tools that will make modeling easier.

A perhaps more practical answer: there is no one to one mapping between SQL
and Cassandra.