cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: indexing rows ordered by int
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:56:32 GMT
On Sunday, August 15, 2010, S Ahmed <sahmed1020@gmail.com> wrote:
> For CF that I need to perform range scans on, I create separate CF that have custom ordering.
> Say a CF holds comments on a story (like comments on a reddit or digg story post)
> So if I need to order comments by votes, it seems I have to re-index every time someone
votes on a comment (or batch it every x minutes).

> Right now I think I have to pull all the comments into memory, then sort by votes, then
re-write the index.
> Are there any best-practises for this type of index?

It seems that most stories will have few comments 1-100. If you are
only looking to order comments on a given article by vote this seems
like something you would want to store with the article and or
calculate on the fly.

Unless you were looking for a feature like ,show highest rated comment
across all articles, I do not understand why you would need a separate
cf.
Does my suggestion make sense ?if not, can share your storage.xml ?