cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Gary Dusbabek <gdusba...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TokenRange contains endpoints without any port information?
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:40:57 GMT
On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 07:21, Carsten Krebs <carsten.krebs@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering why a TokenRange returned by describe_ring(keyspace) of the thrift API
just returns endpoints consisting only of an address but omits any port information?
> My first thought was, this method could be used to expose some information about the
ring structure to the client, i.e. to do some client side load balancing. But now, I'm not
sure about this anymore. Additionally, when looking into the code, I guess the address returned
as part of the TokenRange is the address of the storage service which could differ from the
thrift address, which in turn would make the returned endpoint useless for the client.
> What is the purpose of this method

To give a picture of the ring topology.

>or respectively why is the port information omitted?

You already knew the thrift port to make the query connection.  The
only other port you *might* need to be concerned with is the storage
port, which is assumed to be constant across the cluster.  But really,
from a client perspective it does you no good to know this port, so
why bother exposing it?

Gary.