cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@yakaz.com>
Subject Re: cassandra.yaml after a schema import
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:42:55 GMT
The cassandra.yaml holds general configuration of cassandra and the
schema definitions.
As of 0.7, the schema definition are not need anymore in this file as
schema can be defined
programatically. Those definition are are ignored by any node that
already have schema loaded
(hence the warning). But all the general configuration (memtable
tresholds, location of data and
commitlog dir, etc...) are still always needed. So you cannot and
should not remove the
cassandra.yaml for the classpath. But you can safely remove the part
of the file that describe the
schema (or simply ignore the warning).

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> I think this may have been discussed before, but I cannot find any reference to it. Just
wanted to confirm how cassandra.yaml is used after the cluster is initialised.

> Start a clean install of 0.7b1, use jconsole to import the schema from yaml. Drain the
node and shut it down, then remove the cassandra.yaml file from /conf.  Try to start the
node and it fails with...

> ERROR 00:11:57,088 Fatal error: Cannot locate cassandra.yaml on the classpath
> Bad configuration; unable to start server
>
> Put the file back and I get
>  WARN 00:16:32,367 Schema definitions were defined both locally and in cassandra.yaml.
Definitions in cassandra.yaml were ignored.