cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Carsten Krebs <carsten.kr...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: TokenRange contains endpoints without any port information?
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 20:51:28 GMT

On 08.08.2010, at 14:47 aaron morton wrote:

> What sort of client side load balancing where you thinking of? I just use round robin
DNS to distribute clients around the cluster, and have them recycle their connections every
so often.

I was thinking about to use this method to give the client to the ability to "learn" what
nodes are part of the cluster. Using this information to automatically adapt the set of nodes
used by the client if a new node is added to or respectively removed from the cluster.

Why do you prefer round robin DNS for load balancing?
One advantage I see is, that the client does not has to take care about the node set and especially
the management of the node set. The reason why I was thinking about a client side load balancing
was to avoid the need to write additional tools, to monitor all nodes in the cluster and changing
the DNS entry if any node fails - and this as fast as possible to prevent the clients from
trying to use a dead node. But the time writing this, I doesn't think anymore, that this is
good point. This is just a point of some sort of retry logic, which is needed anyway in the
client.

Carsten