cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Michael Dürgner <mich...@duergner.de>
Subject Re: How to migrate any relational database to Cassandra
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:24:41 GMT
In my opinion it's the wrong approach when so ask how to migrate from MySQL to Cassandra from
a database level view. The lack of joins in NoSQL should lead to think about what you wanna
get out of your persistent storage and afterwards think about how to migrate and most of the
time how to denormalize the data you have in order to insert it into a NoSQL storage like
Cassandra.

Simply just migrating the data and moving the joins up to the application level might work
in the beginning but most of the times doesn't scale in the end.

Am 06.08.2010 um 20:00 schrieb sonia gehlot:

> Hi All,
>

> Little background about myself. I am ETL engineer worked in only relational databases.
>
> I have been reading and trying Cassandra since 3-4 weeks. I kind of understood Cassandra
data model, its structure,  nodes etc. I also installed Cassandra and played around with it,
like

>   cassandra> set Keyspace1.Standard2['jsmith']['first'] = 'John'
>   Value inserted.
>  cassandra> get Keyspace1.Standard2['jsmith']
>     (column=first, value=John; timestamp=1249930053103)
>   Returned 1 rows.
>
> But don't know what to do next? Like if someone says me this is MySQL database migrate
it to cassandra, then I dont know what should be my next step?