cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Read before Write
Date Sun, 29 Aug 2010 02:51:32 GMT
If you are reading and making decisions about what to write just remember there are no transactions.
You are essentially running at a Read Uncommitted level of transaction isolation, with regard
of batch mutations (a mutation for a single row is atomic).

If you can it may be less headache to write without looking first.

Aaron

On 28 Aug 2010, at 00:57, Daniel Doubleday <daniel.doubleday@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi people
>
> I was wondering if anyone already benchmarked such a situation:
>
> I have:
>
> day of year (row key) -> SomeId (column key) -> byte[0]
>
> I need to make sure that I write SomeId, but in around 80% of the cases it will be already
present (so I would essentially replace it with itself). RF will be 2.

> So should I rather just write all the time (given that cassandra is so fast on write)
or should I read and write only if not present?