FB Inbox Search still runs on Cassandra and will continue to do so. I should know since I maintain it :).

Cheers
Avinash

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:34 AM, David Strauss <david@fourkitchens.com> wrote:
On 2010-07-05 15:40, Eric Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 13:14 +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
>> This person's understanding is that Facebook 'no longer contributes to
>> nor uses Cassandra.':
>>
>> http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/05/17/beyond-cassandra/
>
> Last I heard, Facebook was still using Cassandra for what they had
> always used it for, Inbox Search. Last I heard, there were no plans in
> place to change that.

I had the opportunity to talk with some Facebook infrastructure
engineers in San Francisco over the past few weeks. They are no longer
using Cassandra, even for inbox search.

Inbox search was intended to be an initial push for using Cassandra more
broadly, not the primary target of the Cassandra design. Unfortunately,
Facebook's engineers later decided that Cassandra wasn't the right
answer to the right question for Facebook's purposes.

That decision isn't an indictment of Cassandra's capability; it's
confirmation that Cassandra isn't everything to everyone. But we already
knew that. :-)

--
David Strauss
  | david@fourkitchens.com