cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Samuru Jackson <samurujack...@googlemail.com>
Subject Question regarding consistency and deletion
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:17:07 GMT
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Cassandra and started to set up a small cluster for
playing around and evaluating it for my potential purposes.

As far as I understand I can't remove whole rows - instead the columns
of a deleted rows are removed and a client can decided based on the
row's column count if it treats a part of a returned slice as deleted
or not. Those empty rows are referenced as a Tombstone in Cassandras
terminology- right?

Is there any way to force the sync/garbage collection of the deletion
of the such empty rows?

Reading the mailinglist, this behaviour is relating to the weak
consistency of Cassandra. What I don't understand is, why is it
possible to remove the columns of a row, but not the whole row? Could
you give me some further reading on this topic?

Thanks!

SJ