cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra disk space utilization WAY higher than I would expect
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:26:48 GMT
> Minor compactions (see
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/MemtableSSTable) will try to keep the
> growth in check but it is by no means limited to 2x.

Sorry I was being unclear. I was rather thinking along the lines of a
doubling of data triggering an implicit major compaction. However I
was wrong anyway, since minimumCompactionThreshold in
CompactionManager is set to 4.

This does make me realize that the actual worst-case spike of disk
space usage is decidedly non-trivial to figure out, even if we are
allowed to assume that compaction speed is equal to or greater than
the speed of writes.

--
/ Peter Schuller