cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Davis <jerdavis.cassan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: about cassandra compression
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:46:21 GMT
I've been wondering about this question as well, but from a different angle.
More along the lines of should I bother to compress myself? Specifically in
cases where I might want to take several small columns and compress into 1
more compact column. Each column by itself is pretty spartan and won't
benefit from compression on its own. However a collection of columns
certainly would.

I see that there is work in 0.8 to compress the SSTables on disk, which is
great and is half the problem. But what about on the wire? Will the planned
Avro work provide any compression on data to/from the Cassandra Server?

-JD