cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Schuller <peter.schul...@infidyne.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra benchmarking on Rackspace Cloud
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:54:04 GMT
> Just wanted to follow up on this.
>
> We were never able to achieve throughput scaling in the cloud.  We were able to verify
that many of our cluster nodes and test servers were collocated on the same physical hardware
(thanks Stu for the tip on the Rackspace REST API), and that performance on collocated nodes
rose and fell in concert.  Ultimately we moved to dedicated hardware and throughput scaled
as expected with additional nodes.

Thanks for following-up, confirming there is no reason to believe
there was as problem with Cassandra itself. I actually managed to
misunderstand something because I thought you had seen this effect on
real hardware after moving off of the cloud already.

> Thanks for everyone's help on this.  We had to move on in the interest of moving our
project along, but I'd still be interested to see benchmarks from successful cloud installations.
 Maybe with the node routing in 0.7 and larger cluster sizes, the cloud might become a more
viable option for highly available high read throughput applications.

On the cloud side of things I think it would be very useful to be able
to control (at least weekly) the independence of resources. This
includes at least machine instances and things like EBS volumes. This
would be useful not only for scaling purposes but also redundancy
purposes. I wonder which cloud provider will be the first (or is there
one already?) to provide something like that.

--
/ Peter Schuller