cassandra-user mailing list archives

From maneela a <manee...@yahoo.com>
Subject RackAwareStrategy vs RackUnAwareStrategy on AWS EC2 cloud
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:36:40 GMT
Are there any known performance issues if cassandra cluster launched with RackAwareStrategy
because I see huge performance difference between RackAwareStrategy vs RackUnAwareStrategy.
Here are details:

we have a cluster setup with 4 EC2 X large nodes, 3 of them are running in East region and
4th one is running in West region and they all communicate with each other through VPN tunnel
interface which is only way we found to achieve ring architecture across Amazon cloud regions:

we are able to process 3.5K write operations per second when we used RackUnAwareStrategy whereas

:/home/ubuntu/cassandra/contrib/py_stress# ./stress.py -o insert -n 80000 -y regular -d ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com
--threads 100 --keep-going
total,interval_op_rate,avg_latency,elapsed_time
35935,3593,0.0289930914479,10
70531,3459,0.0289145907593,20
80000,946,0.0267288666213,30

whereas we are able to process only 250 write operations per second when we used RackAwareStrategy

:/home/ubuntu/cassandra/contrib/py_stress# ./stress.py -o insert -n 80000 -y regular -d ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-xx.compute-1.amazonaws.com
--threads 100 --keep-going
total,interval_op_rate,avg_latency,elapsed_time
2327,232,0.434396038355,10
4772,244,0.40946514036,20
7383,261,0.384504625415,30
9924,254,0.392919449861,40