cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra vs MongoDB
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:05:41 GMT
On 7/27/10 12:42 PM, Dave Gardner wrote:
> There are quite a few differences. Ultimately it depends on your use
> case! For example Mongo has a limit on the maximum "document" size of
> 4MB, whereas with Cassandra you are not really limited to the volume
> of data/columns per-row (I think there maybe a limit of 2GB perhaps;
> basically none)
>
> Another point re: search volumes is that mongo has been actively
> promoting over the last few months. I recently attended an excellent
> conference day in London which was very cheap; tickets probably didn't
> cover the costs. I guess this is part of their strategy. Eg: encourage
> adoption.
>
> Dave
>
> On Tuesday, July 27, 2010, Jonathan Shook<jshook@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Also, google trends is only a measure of what terms people are
>> searching for. To equate this directly to growth would be misleading.
>>
>>   Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Drew Dahlke<drew.dahlke@bronto.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> There's a good post on stackoverflow comparing the two
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2892729/mongodb-vs-cassandra
>>>
>>> It seems to me that both projects have pretty vibrant communities behind them.

It

Well my initial use case would be to store our search logs and perform
some ad-hoc querying which I know is a win for Mongo. However I don't
think I fully understand how to build indexes in Cassandra so maybe its
just an issue of ignorance. I know going forward though we would be
expanding it to house our per item translations.