cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to import data from MYSQL to Cassandra
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2010 02:31:00 GMT

On Jul 1, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Rana Aich wrote:
> Can someone please please throw some light how can I import the Data from mysql into
Cassandra cluster.
> - Is there any tool available?
> OR
> - Do I have to write my own Client using Thrift that will read the export file (*.sql)
and insert the record in the database.

None of the above.

With Cassandra, you need to store the data you want to retrieve, so your "import" is really
an operation where you extract the data you have in your MySQL database, synthesize new data
to be stored in Cassandra, and push that data into Cassandra using the client of your choice.

You need to go through the exercise of deciding what you want to retrieve, how to lay that
out in a cluster, and then mapping your existing data onto that new model.

-- Paul