cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra vs MongoDB
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:30:43 GMT

> If you are looking to store web logs and then do ad hoc queries you might/should be using
Hadoop (depending on how big your logs are)

I agree, take a look at the Cloudera Hadopp 3 CDH3, they include an app called Flume for moving
data...

"As a result, we designed and built Flume. Flume is a distributed service that makes it very
easy to collect and aggregate your data into a persistent store such as HDFS. Flume can read
data from almost any source – log files, Syslog packets, the standard output of any Unix
process – and can deliver it to a batch processing system like Hadoop or a real-time data
store like HBase. All this can be configured dynamically from a single, central location –
no more tedious configuration file editing and process restarting. Flume will collect the
data from wherever existing applications are storing it, and whisk it away for further analysis
and processing."

(I wonder if this could deliver into Cassanda :) )

If it's straight log file processing Hadoop may be a better fit.

Aaron