cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Kochheiser,Todd W - TOK-DITT-1" <twkochhei...@bpa.gov>
Subject RE: Running Cassandra as a Windows Service
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:54:05 GMT
Apache's Procrun<http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html> is a "real windows service"
similar to the one from Tanuki Software.  In regards to batch files, they are not used by
Procrun in any way.  The batch file I created simply makes installing and removing the service
super easy. I've used the Tanuki Java Wrapper Service before and it also works very nicely.
 However, since Cassandra is an Apache project, it seemed most appropriate to go ahead and
use a Windows service runner from Apache and to avoid any possible licensing or bundling issues,
especially since I'd like to see it included as a contrib.  And, Procrun has been used for
years by various Apache project with Apache Tomcat probably being the most famous.  Regardless,
the Tanuki runner works well.

Todd

PS: I believe the community version of the Java Serviced Wrapper from Tanuki is GPL v2, but
I could be wrong.  Their licensing is a mix of

________________________________
From: Richard Grossman [mailto:richiesgr@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:37 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Running Cassandra as a Windows Service

Hello

Why not using Java Wrapper Service?
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/download.jsp
You can configure any java process as real windows services instead of batch files

Richard
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Kochheiser,Todd W - TO-DITT1 <twkochheiser@bpa.gov<mailto:twkochheiser@bpa.gov>>
wrote:
For various reasons I am required to deploy systems on Windows.  As such, I went looking for
information on running Cassandra as a Windows service.  I've read some of the user threads
regarding running Cassandra as a Windows service, such as this one:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg01656.html

I also found the following JIRA issue:

As it didn't look like anyone has contributed a formal solution and having some experience
using Apache's Procrun (http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html), I decided to go ahead
and write a batch script and a simple "WindowsService" class to accomplish the task.  The
WindowsService class only makes calls to public methods in CassandraDeamon and is fairly simple.
 In combination with the batch script, it is very easy to install and remove the service.
 At this point, I've installed Cassandra as a Windows service on XP (32 bit), Windows 7 (64
bit) and Windows Server 2008 R1/R2 (64 bit).  It should work fine on other version of Windows
(2K, 2K3).

Questions:

1.       Has anyone else already done this work?
2.       If not, I wouldn't mind sharing the code/script or contributing it back to the project.
 Is there any interest in this from the Cassandra dev team or the user community?

Ideally the WindowsService could be included in the distributed source/binary distributions
(perhaps in a contrib area) as well as the batch script and associated procrun executables.
 Or, perhaps it could be posted to a Cassandra community site (is there one?).

Todd