cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com>
Subject PPA for Cassandra Ubuntu Packages
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:45:26 GMT
I've setup a launchpad project, team, and a PPA (https://launchpad.net/ppa) for Cassandra packages
on Ubuntu here:

https://launchpad.net/cassandra-packages
https://launchpad.net/~cassandra-ubuntu

This team is currently made up of a few members of the Ubuntu Server Team. We'd like to appeal
to you, the Cassandra Community, to help us test and maintain these packages going forward.
Hopefully, the effort to do so will be minimal. The only delta we're maintaining there is
to include the jar files needed to repeat the build in the source package. Our hope is that
somebody involved with deploying and running Cassandra would like to help us maintain these
packages, and so would be added to the "cassandra-ubuntu" team, which has upload rights directly
to the PPA.

This is outside the normal releases and archives of Ubuntu. These aren't really going to be
supported like the rest of Ubuntu. Its provided mostly as a convenience experiment to make
it easier for Ubuntu users to utilize projects like Cassandra that move quickly. With this
PPA, the hope is that we can provide a smooth upgrade path for users on older releases of
Ubuntu without subjecting the package to our usual stringent requirements.

We have also considered making a 'dailybuild' PPA so that users can add that and run the latest
build, which we've found with other projects helps with confirming bug reports.

If you'd like to try it out, follow the instructions linked to here:

https://launchpad.net/~cassandra-ubuntu/+archive/stable

As that should help users find these packages quickly.

If anybody has feedback please feel free to contact me directly and/or file bugs against the
cassandra-packages project.

Thanks!

--
Clint Byrum