cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Carlos Sanchez <carlos.sanc...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject RE: Range Slices timing question
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:31:41 GMT
Thx a lot

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Ellis [mailto:jbellis@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:28 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Range Slices timing question

get_range_slices is faster in 0.7 but there's not much you can do in 0.6.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Carlos Sanchez
<carlos.sanchez@riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> I have about a million rows (each row with 100 cols) of the form domain/!date/!id  (e.g.
gwm.com/!20100430/!CFRA4500) So I am interested in getting all the ids (all cols) for a particular
domain/date (e.g. "gwm.ml.com/!20100430/!A" "gwm.ml.com/!20100430/!D"). I am looping in chunks
of 6000 rows / 500 cols at a time. However, it is taken in my 5 node cluster (each  machine
has 32gb in ram, RF=3 and OPP, v0.6.1) 36 secs to get all the required rows (stats below);
which I think it is a bit high. I am wondering if a possible cause it's the way my string
keys are constructed (suggestions are welcome) that makes Cassandra work 'harder' when doing
a 'range slices'. Does Cassandra examines all row keys to search for matches? Are there any
settings I can tweak to try to make the retrieval faster?

> Thanks
>
> Carlos
>
> row(s) found 6000 in 35086ms
> total cols(s) found 593502
> row bytes 228000
> col bytes 38422670
> total bytes 38650670  (36.86015 MB)
>

> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients
and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original
message.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra