cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Carlos Sanchez <carlos.sanc...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject Range Slices timing question
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:04:10 GMT
I have about a million rows (each row with 100 cols) of the form domain/!date/!id  (e.g. gwm.com/!20100430/!CFRA4500)
So I am interested in getting all the ids (all cols) for a particular domain/date (e.g. "gwm.ml.com/!20100430/!A"
"gwm.ml.com/!20100430/!D"). I am looping in chunks of 6000 rows / 500 cols at a time. However,
it is taken in my 5 node cluster (each  machine has 32gb in ram, RF=3 and OPP, v0.6.1) 36
secs to get all the required rows (stats below); which I think it is a bit high. I am wondering
if a possible cause it's the way my string keys are constructed (suggestions are welcome)
that makes Cassandra work 'harder' when doing a 'range slices'. Does Cassandra examines all
row keys to search for matches? Are there any settings I can tweak to try to make the retrieval
faster?

Thanks

Carlos

row(s) found 6000 in 35086ms
total cols(s) found 593502
row bytes 228000
col bytes 38422670
total bytes 38650670  (36.86015 MB)

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and
may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original
message.