cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Black...@b3k.us>
Subject Re: Data format stability
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:01:33 GMT
What specifically is driving you to use trunk rather than the stable,
0.6 branch?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Matthew Conway <matt@backupify.com> wrote:
> Not so much worried about temporary breakages, but more about design decisions that are
made to enhance cassandra at the cost of a data format change.  So long as the policy here
is to preserve backwards compatibility with the on disk storage format (possibly with an automatic
conversion), even that shouldn't be a problem.  I'll go ahead and follow commits/dev, but
given my lack of experience with cassandra, I'm worried I might not be able to tell an important
change from not, so it would be helpful if I knew if any more were planned for 0.7, or if
an extra step was taken to announce these kinds of changes in one of the lists.  Thanks,

> Matt
>
> On Jun 11, 2010, at Fri Jun 11, 7:43 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> If you're comfortable following commits@cassandra.apache.org, it
>> should be pretty obvious which changes are going to break things
>> temporarily or require a commitlog drain.  Otherwise, we recommend
>> sticking with the stable branch until a beta is released.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Matthew Conway <matt@backupify.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'd like to start using trunk for something real, but am concerned about stability
of the data format.  That is, will I be able to upgrade a running system to a newer version
of trunk and eventually to the 7.0 release, or are there any changes planned to the format
of the data stored on disk that would prevent this.  I'm ok with having to do a full shutdown
to do upgrades, or even some form of export/import (would prefer to avoid this), but obviously
would need to know when the format has changed so I can do the right thing (announcements
to mailing list?).  What is the recommend procedure for dealing with upgrades?  Thanks,