cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mike Subelsky <m...@subelsky.com>
Subject munin is great for monitoring Cassandra
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:01:41 GMT
I just started munin to monitor the performance of my cluster which is
working great.  I noticed the attached pattern for JVM heap size -
lots of peaks and valleys, which looks like GC is firing pretty
frequently.  I don't have a lot of experience with Java apps, and our
installation is relatively untuned (3 large EC2 instances each with 5G
heap memory with the commit log on an ephemeral drive and the data
drive on an EBS volume).  Does that pattern look bad or is it
relatively normal? If it's not normal, any advice for what I should
change to get better performance?

Big thanks to Jonathan and James for building these awesome plugins.
As a JMX novice this was a huge boost:

http://github.com/jamesgolick/cassandra-munin-plugins

thanks!

-Mike

--
Mike Subelsky
oib.com // ignitebaltimore.com // subelsky.com